Nowadays, teenagers use new technologies a lot. To demonstrate we have done some surveys in the IES Gilabert de Centelles.
ENTERTAINMENT EDUCATIONAL USE
|HOURS||0 – 2||3 – 4||5 – +5||0 – 2||3 – 4||5 – +5|
The uncontrolled use of technology can have negative repercussions on adolescent:
- Hearing problems: The use of headphones can cause hearing damage when used consistently and at a high volume.
- Overweight and obesity: They avoid physical activity, which could lead to weight gain and a sedentary lifestyle.Furthermore, eating habits are altered.
- Decreased sleep hours: The use of electronic devices just before sleep makes it difficult to reconcile sleep.
- Alterations of the state of mind: Not getting enough sleep could cause discouragement, stress, anxiety and depression.
- Lack of concentration: Repercused in the school environment and in its academic execution as the hours of study are reduced. In addition, it distances him from the real world.
- Muscle pains: They are caused by staying in a bad position when using the computer or video games. As a result, it can manifest injuries and pains in the back, shoulders and neck.
- Visual stress: Due to excessive time spent in front of electronic devices, the eyes become dry and irritated. It could present a blurred vision and / or tired eyesight.
- Social isolation: Interpersonal conflicts arise because it limits face-to-face communication with people, especially with family members.
- Psychological dependence: The inability to control and impotence arises. The behavior is carried out despite the attempt to control it. He is unable to interrupt his activity and this becomes the most important to master thoughts and feelings.
It is recommended that parents create awareness of these repercussions. Some of the recommendations are the following:
- Encourages a moderate use of technology. Analyze if you make excessive use of it, since.
- you can adopt these behaviors by modeling and observation.
- Do leisure activities, sports …
- It establishes limits, clear rules and agreements that are taken among all members of the family, on times and uses of technologies.
- Avoid maintaining excessively permissive or severe postures.
- Know the content of video games or the applications that download.
- Orient them about the dangers of establishing communication with strangers.
- Go to a mental health professional if this behavior becomes an addiction.
Post edited by: Marisol Matas & Maria Miralles